Friday, March 20, 2009

A post not about being pregnant

For once! Heh.
So I was driving home last night at 1 something a.m. and while driving over the Broad River bridge, I see a police car pulled over with the blue lights on. I figured he/she was pulling someone over, but as I drew closer, I see there is no car in front of the officer's. So then I think, OK he/she already let them go and is doing his/her "police work" in the car.

But then I see in the police car's headlights there is a person sitting on the side of the road, head tucked between his legs. No broken-down car or bike or anything in site. So this man, who looks extremely despondent, is just sitting there. And I just want to pull over and get out and ask him what it wrong and tell him it's going to be OK. But I know I can't.

I'm guessing the police officer had found him there and was calling for backup before approaching him. I'm not sure what was going on.

The whole way home after that all I can think of is what was this man doing walking down a dark one-mile long bridge at 1:17 a.m. Maybe he was just trying to get home. But why sit on the ground and hang your head? And stay put while an officer shines his/her headlights on you and flashes the blue lights. Something was clearly wrong. I just get the feeling he was without any hope.

Ever read about "indigo children" or highly intuitive children? (If you google it, you'll get a lot of goofy, new-agey stuff.) My mom is certain I am one of these, which explains why this is something I can't get out of my mind and makes me want to find out this man's story and say something to give him some hope. I dreamt about it and am still thinking about it today. This kind of thing happens to me a lot. I have to remind myself all the world's problems are not my own, even though they hit me like a wrecking ball sometimes.

No comments: